This is a Colombian recipe of “Arepas de Choclo”. However, this food is present in many Latin American countries. If you are looking for a wonderful breakfast or snack, these corn pancakes are sublime! By the way, they are gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup of milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 1 cup of cornmeal or corn flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- 2 spoon butter
- 1 egg
- Cheese (feta or mozzarela)
This video shows the instructions to make Corn Pancakes. However, if you prefer follow the steps below:
- Mix all the ingredients together into a food processor or a blender, just keep the cheese and the water on the side for later.
- Blend the ingredients. During the process, add 1/2 cup of water.
- After blending, put a pan on medium to high heat, place some butter or coconut oil on it.
- When the pan is hot enough, spread two ladles of the pancakes mix on it, and fry it until a crust is formed. After the crust is on the bottom side, make sure the pancake does not stick to the pan and flip it over.
- When the pancake is golden to brown on both sides, place on the side, put some cheese slides on top and make another pancake.
- When the second pancake is ready, place it on top of the cheese.
- Enjoy these beautiful corn pancakes!
As an Andean country, corn is a popular ingredient of Colombian and Latin cuisine. I am super familiar with this food, so I recommend exploring more recipes with this fabulous ingredient.